Whether you are cleaning a small or a large area rug, there are some very simple yet important things that you need to remember to ensure that you get the best results possible with you area rug cleaning.
Many people think that they can simply clean their area rugs the same as they would their carpets and while this may be the case with some rugs, it can really cause a lot of damage if done to the wrong type of area rug.
The last thing that we want is for you to make the mistake of using the wrong area rug cleaning methods on your rug and then have to go out and buy a new rug.
Or worse yet, ruin a rug that you cannot replace.
We have seen it all, from discoloration to just simplying ruining the beauty of a fine area rug and we do not want to see it anymore so please take this advice and put it to work for you when you are cleaning your area rugs, it will save you a lot of stress and time not to mention money.
Area Rug Cleaning
The first thing that you want to do before you ever attempt to clean even an inch of your area rug is to find out what type of area rug you have.
This can be difficult if you are dealing with antique or foreign rugs but simply doing an internet search will produce the type that you have.
Normally area rugs will have a tag on the bottom side which can give you the clues you need to determine which type of area rug that you are dealing with.
Don’t panic if you cannot instantly determine your area rug type, simply asking someone who cleans area rugs for a living may be all that you need to do to identify your rug.
Ok, great you now know what type of rug you have, very important step.
Now lets look at how to properly clean your rug.
- Start by vacuuming your area rug to get rid of dust and debris, this will save you a lot of time when cleaning and will help make your rug clean and beautiful when you are finished.
- Choose the right cleaning products for you type of carpet – perform an internet search for your type of rug and cleaning and you will find the cleaning solution you need to use but don’t go cheap on this, remember you get what you pay for with cleaning products.
- Have stains – try shaving creme, yes shaving creme works wonder on rug stains, simply apply shaving creme to affected area, work in with a brush and then wipe up with a damp towel.
- Start with a small area – test your cleaner on a small area first to see how it goes before you soak your entire rug in a cleaner that may damage the rug.
- Clean and let fully dry before you put back in the traffic area, let your rug fully dry before walking on it again, this will ensure that dirt and dust does not get on your now clean area rug.
Area Rug Cleaning
Sometime you just don’t want to fool around with cleaning your area rugs and would rather have a professional take care of the job for you, heck we all know you are busy and have better things to do, no worries there are thousands of carpet cleaning companies out there who also offer area rug cleaning in their service offerings.
We use to clean our area rugs ourselves but found a company who makes our area rugs look brand new and is actually very affordable, you are welcome to give them a shot and see how they do for you, Area Rug Cleaning by Columbus GA Carpet Cleaning (www.columbusgacarpetcleaner.com) is our #1 choice, we have hired them many times and they have never let us down, give them a try today.